IF YOU HAVE ENTHUSIASM, A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND A FEW BASIC FITNESS SKILLS, THEN I HAVE A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR YOU TO LEARN HOW TO BE SUCCESSFUL IN THE FITNESS BUSINESS.
Dear Prospective Intern,
First of all, thanks for taking the time to visit this site. It’s my hope that you have precisely what I need in an intern so I can add you to our dynamic fitness staff and make Athlon an even better place for its customers and clients. (Not to mention help you gain the necessary knowledge and skills to be successful in this industry!)
Second, I want to be clear that this is an unpaid internship lasting three months. You will work as an employee of Athlon, located in San Luis Obispo (on the central coast of California), but will not receive monetary compensation nor help with housing. What you will be “paid” is the amazing experience of working along side very knowledgeable and successful personal trainers on the inside of a successful fitness business.
Now, let me tell you about me, my company and the internship positions…
My name is Ryan Joiner, I am a Cal Poly graduate and I run a sports performance and elite fitness company called Athlon Fitness & Performance near the airport in San Luis Obispo, CA.
My Business is dedicated to helping people achieve their health, fitness and performance goals through unique and well designed fitness and nutrition programs. And business is booming!
I’m looking for enthusiastic, motivated, and energetic interns to mix in with my fitness staff and start training some of our current clients as well as help me to continue growing this unique company. There may even be a paid-position here for you once you complete the internship.
I currently offer four different levels of fitness training at Athlon:
- Semi-Private Personal Training- our most intimate, personal, high-end service. Here we create and implement highly personalized and specific programs to help an individual accomplish their fitness goal, whether that be elite level sports performance or just to live a longer, healthier life. These sessions consist of one to three people training with a trainer at a time.
- Elite Performance Group Training- for competitive athletes, junior high through professional, (or any other person needing to train for elite fitness activities and responsibilities, i.e., S.W.O.T. team, Fire Fighters, etc). We create highly specific speed and power conditioning routines based on their needs to ensure that the “athlete” is performing at their absolute best for their desired event.
- Elite Fitness Group Training- for anyone else desiring to train at, or up to, an elite level of fitness. It is our unique, proprietary fitness progressions, The Burn and The Edge. These programs are based on a balance of movements and training on 10 human movement skills. Clients are sure to get what they want here… “Results!”
- Basic Fitness Membership- we are also a full-service health club offering a group fitness program, a senior fitness program and a number of lines of fitness equipment to serve the health club population.
In all these programs we work with men, women and teens to educate, motivate and support them in their endeavor to achieve fitness and performance results and perform superior to the competition (or just truly enjoy their active life)! If you are accepted as an intern, you’ll learn our fitness systems, learn our management system, learn a ton of new stuff about the human body and how it applies to the real world, and most importantly, you’ll get hands-on training experience with my clients right away.
Schedules vary but you’ll need to work around 20 hours per week, mostly doing group and semi-private personal training, and possibly completing a pet project within the Internship time (200 total hours or 3 consecutive months). This is a great opportunity for you as my facility offers a unique, fun environment, unique training equipment, unique ideas on fitness and the opportunity to learn the inner-workings of a successful fitness business.
Oh yeah, I’m also very fair, respectful and appreciative. I like having fun and making money providing highly valuable fitness services and products. You will get to learn how I do this.
- Develop Comprehensive Fitness & Performance Programs For Clients: You’ll receive coaching and training on our fitness system and programs, but you’ll have flexibility to incorporate your own training style and knowledge.
- Tracking Client Progress: In order to ensure a client’s success in our programs, you’ll need to track progress, current successes and challenges, review client nutrition and exercise log worksheets and more on a daily, weekly and monthly basis. When assigned, it will be your job to hold a client accountable to his/her fitness/performance program to ensure the best results possible.
- Perform Fitness Evaluations: Ideally, you’ll have some fitness assessment skills and can test for: body composition, body weight, girth measurements, blood pressure, heart rate and various strength, power, speed and flexibility tests. You do not need previous experience, but if you do, that’s a bonus.
- Coach Clients through Their Daily Programs: You’ll be responsible for daily exercise sessions and keeping detailed daily progress reports on the clients your working with. If a client is having challenges throughout his/her program, you’ll coach and motivate that client and make appropriate changes to ensure consistent progress.
- Demonstrate Proper Exercise Instruction: This is a big one. I will teach you the exercises we typically use but I need you to be able to provide proper coaching, instruction, and motivation during a client training session. You should have a working knowledge of the human body (i.e. muscles, movements, functions, etc) and be able to select/provide appropriate exercises for the client’s goals. You will need to quickly learn and grasp the various exercises we prescribe and become proficient at teaching and explaining them.
- Provide Ongoing Health and Fitness Education: Our clients rely on us to service all of their health and fitness needs. It is your job as a fitness coach to provide your clients with health and fitness education on various topics that will empower them to lead healthy lives forever. You’ll be provided with educational tools and resources, will be expected to study them and speak about them with our clients. We also spend time covering this in our weekly staff meetings.
These are the skills you must already have in order to qualify for this Internship:
- Good Communication Skills: You will be talking with my clients, who are VERY important to me. You must be comfortable conversing in-person and on the phone and know how to conduct yourself professionally, and deliver clear instructions to the clients. I’ll teach you everything you need to do during a training session, but I can’t teach you manners and professionalism.
- People Skills and Personality: You must LOVE working with people! As mentioned above you must be very comfortable working with people. This is an exciting and fast paced fitness facility and you must be able to show our clients energy and excitement while working with them.
- Health and Fitness Education: You do not have to have personal training experience, but you should have a working knowledge of health and fitness and the human body and an ability to quickly grasp the concepts I will teach you.
- Preferred Course Work: Human Anatomy, Physiology, Exercise Physiology. (Bonus: Motor Learning, Biomechanics), CPR Certified
I’m looking for the right interns and willing to bring in a few per quarter. So if this Internship sounds good to you, complete the application below and we’ll contact you by email to set up an interview.
Again, thanks very much for your interest,
Ryan Joiner, MS, CSCS
Owner Athlon Fitness & Performance / Athlon Elite
P.S. This is not the type of Internship where just showing up is enough. Performance is as important to the Interns as to the staff trainers. If you perform, you will be rewarded, and possibly be eligible for employment here after your Internship is complete.
With that said, as I mentioned in the headline on this page, enthusiasm and a positive attitude go a long way in my book. I’m a positive, upbeat business owner and appreciate those qualities in others. As long as you have the basic skills I mentioned, and a great attitude, you’re definitely a candidate for this Internship! So submit your information today!